News Letter – April 2020
Dear Host Families and Friends,
What a difference a few weeks can make. We hope you and your families have settled into the lockdown and are keeping well.
In the past few weeks, Host Families NZ has adjusted our internal procedures in response to the COVID-19 changes and we would like to keep you updated.
We are still unsure when the border will be reopened however, we would like to stay in close contact with you and get all documents ready if the circumstances change. Please note that we are unable to book a student with you if:
- Your police vetting is more than three years old (includes all household who are 18 years old and over)
- Your inspections date is more than 3 months old (for families who are willing to host under 18 years old students)
- Your inspection date is more than 6 months old (for families who are willing to host 18 years old students and over)
- Your profile information is not up to date
- Therefore, from this week onwards, our team will start reviewing all families’ profile and we will contact you for an online inspection if needed. We will be using facetime, zoom, skype or Facebook messenger. Please make sure you have at least one form of the communication applications installed on your phone. Our team is looking forward to meeting you online.
Two Weeks Move-out Notice & Visitors
Under Alert Level 4, no travel is allowed around the country except for the essential services. However, as you may aware that some countries are looking to repatriate their citizens by making special flights and some parents are booking commercial flights for their children to go back to their home country during the lockdown period. Host Families NZ is working closely with the schools and we will keep you updated if any of those happens. Please note, under this global health crisis, the two weeks’ move-out notice does not apply.
We understand many families have had to reorganise before the lockdown and this may happen unpredicted. However, if you have anyone who has moved into your home before/during the lockdown, please let Host Families NZ team know immediately. We would still need to undergo the police vetting and inform their schools.
Online Shop Suggestions
Some students may have had to extend their time here and require warmer clothing as the temperatures drop. The Warehouse http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/ is open for them to make online orders of clothing if this is necessary.
Also, we would like to share a few suggestions for families regarding online shops other than supermarkets that can deliver during the lockdown:https://themarket.com/nz/
Stay Up To Date
Stay up to date and get more information below: “How to look after your mental health and wellbeing during Alert Level 4.” by Ministry of Health https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-novel-coronavirus-health-advice-general-public/covid-19-wellbeing-alert-level-4
- For official Government information about COVID-19 (novel coronavirus), including health advice and travel restrictions visit the All-of-Government website https://covid19.govt.nz/
- For health advice, please refer to the Ministry of Health’s website. https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
- To keep updated on travel restrictions and visa information visit https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19
Please remember to call the Healthline on 0800 358 5453 if your student shows any symptoms of COVID-19.
Reminder to keep students involved in family life – games evenings (board games/video games), charades, backyard cricket, word games to practice English!
Stay kind and positive. We will get through this together.
Host Families NZ Team