If you have a specific question about being a host family that is not listed below, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +64 9 358 1531.
No. Our team at Host Families NZ will do their best to find someone to stay in your home. Our goal is to meet with each family so that we can create a placement that best suits each party's needs. When we find a potential match, we will contact you and discuss the details of their stay.
We recommend each household to set specific rules that their guests must follow, but it is mainly up to the host family to make this decision.
Here are suggested rules to discuss:
- When the guest(s) will be leaving and returning to the house every day
- Notifications of when the guest(s) will not be home in the evening
- Available food and use of kitchen
We have three options from which guests can select:
- Full board: 3 meals per day
- Half board: 2 meals Monday – Friday, 3 meals Saturday & Sunday
- No meals (this option is not available for guests under 18 years old)
The duration of each guest’s stay varies from 3 days to 2-3 years and depends on the purpose of their visit.
The time varies due to the participant’s request and the availability of homestays in certain areas. We will notify you as soon as we find a well-suited participant.
Host families are required to provide the following:
- A fully furnished bedroom
- Bed linen (sheets, pillow, and blankets) and towels
- Desk and chair
- Storage for belongings (such as a chest of drawers or closet)
- Wireless internet (an additional fee may be charged to the guest if necessary)
- TV in common area
If there is any damage made by the student, report it and send a picture to Host Families NZ as soon as possible before the student’s departure date. Obtain a quote to repair the damage. We will send this information to the agent or school so that they can discuss the reimbursement with the student.
There is no typical host family. Each one at Host Families NZ is different and unique and we welcome all types to apply. Some families may be single, couples with young children or teenagers, or couples with no children currently living at home. We encourage our host families to provide a home away from home for each of the participants staying in New Zealand.
Participants usually range between 10 and 30 years old. Most guests between the ages of 16 and 20 stay for longer periods of time.
You are not required to provide transportation. We encourage the use of public transport and try to minimise the commute between participant’s homestay and their school/internship location. However, we recommend that you assist your guest in familiarising himself/herself with the public transportation in your area. It will be helpful to show them the nearest bus or train stops that they can take to travel to their destinations.
Things to Keep in Mind
- We have participants throughout the world who are interested in visiting New Zealand. It is important that our host families communicate with them to the best of their ability
- Provide them with a comfortable living area
- Encourage your guests to join your family on special outings and activities during their stay